The fool says in his heart,
“There is no God.” They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
there is no one who does good.
Have you ever had an encounter with an atheist? Probably not, does that mean there are few atheists among us? Nope, to imagine that atheists are few or are many only in advanced countries is to live in denial, there are many atheists among us so don’t be shocked that the cool, calm and well-composed guy that sat beside you in church today is an atheist, but still in the closet, and to shock you, you may be a potential atheist yourself, yes you, I mean you reading this post.
We live in a society where different religions celebrate the existence of a supernatural being-God! We believe in God so much that we see those that deny supernatural existence as crazy or even mad, we detest them so much that we stop relating to them immediately they declare there stand, no matter how dear they were to us, hence, the decision of some atheists to continue to attend church services though they do not believe in praying to a God.
After listening to some atheists, two things dawned on me, one, there are many potential atheists in all churches today, two, Christians are helping atheists disprove the existence of God in great measure and this is done in ignorance. But today, we will be talking about how Christians are unknowingly helping the atheists. Please check the points below and see if you are guilty of any.
1. Lack of Love/Charity: We constantly preach that God is love, yet, you will see Christians that won’t share a meal with a fellow Christian talkless of giving a cup of water to a thirsty unbeliever. An average atheist is a humanist, they believe in sharing, they believe doing good to those around is an obligation of everyone, and we do not need a supernatural being to make us do good. Now, if you that have a God who is love cannot show love and do good, why should an atheist believe in your God?
2. Lack of Oneness and Unity: We all say we read one Bible, but atheists are asking why we are so divided even on some basic doctrines of our faith. We have different groups like Orthodox, the Protestants, Pentecostals, and so on within one faith, yet there are disagreements within each group, one denomination believes it is the righteous one and members of other denominations are going to hell. An atheist will say, even if there is a God, he must be a confused one, because we are all proving we are right and we heard God, so is God confused?
3. Shallow Knowledge Of The Bible: Hardly will you see a real, deep, and committed atheist that hasn’t read the Bible from the beginning to the end, but even though we have been born again for years, can we say we have diligently read the Bible through? In Acts of Apostle, we read about the Berean Christians, they were described as honourable because after hearing a message, they go back home to check the scripture, but an average Christian depends on the message of their pastors to know God, tell them to talk about something in the Bible and all you will hear is an echo of their pastor’s voice, why? They haven’t spent time to know the Lord personally. Such people’s life and speech only strengthen atheists’ stand that the message of the cross is a hoax.
4. Paranoia/Irresponsibility: we must all pay attention to this point because almost all of us are guilty. Who do we blame when things go wrong? The devil, sometimes, we even blame God. We get paranoid and sentimental over everything that we make it look like we are a special project in the hands of the devil. When things go wrong, instead of taking the blame and making necessary adjustments, we blame the supernatural, hence, we never get better cause all we do is fight an imaginary enemy. Every sickness is an attack from the enemy and every poor person’s glory is in some witches coven and it doesn’t matter that the individual is lazy and complacent. A real Christian knows there are battles to fight, but a wise Christian knows how to draw the line between blaming the supernatural and taking charge of his life.
5. Highly Sentimental But Not Spiritual: Indeed we are all emotional being, but God is a Spirit, when we try to contact and project him with the emotion, we give ourselves away as fake and unreal. We try to use our mind to speak in tongues, see visions and revelation, these may look real to us, but there are intelligent people with an unbelieving heart around who understands psychology thereby strengthening their belief that there is no God.
Which one are you guilty of? May God help us to make necessary adjustments. Happy Sunday!